About the Society
The Gene Stratton-Porter Society has a history that started in 1945 when it was organized to assist in acquiring 20 acres and buildings of the Stratton-Porter Sylvan Lake property. The home, land, some furnishings and memorabilia were purchased from Gene's daughter, Jeanette Porter Meehan in December of 1946. The site became the Gene Stratton-Porter State Historic Site. The original Gene Stratton-Porter Association then dissolved following the successful transfer of the property to the State of Indiana and later reformed as the Gene Stratton-Porter Memorial Society, Inc.
On June 27, 1974, the 16 room log cabin on the property was placed on the National Register of Historic places. The formal garden was registered in National Gardens of America in 1987. The Society was reorganized and a certificate of incorporation was granted on January 9, 1976. The Board of Directors at that time was Donald Goings, Mary McKinney, Kent Main, Ruth Ann Figgens and Victor Nantz.
In 1999, the Society raised money to build the Carriage House Visitor Center which was donated debt free to the State of Indiana. Through the years, the Society has continued to follow its objective to further and promote the purposes, activities, and projects to further awareness of Gene Stratton-Porter's life and legacy. We accomplish this by working with the Gene Stratton-Porter family and like-minded organizations across the country.
The GSP Society is goverened by a volunteer Board of Directors who meet monthly. Join us as a member!
For the latest on the relationship between the GSP Society and the Gene Stratton-Porter State Historic Site in Rome City (part of the Indiana State Museum and Historic Sites Corporation, please click here.